Research and Teaching Assistant, Website Coordinator
- Phone: +49 241 80 96353
Office Hours during the Term Break
- Tuesday, 1st August, 9-10.30h
- and by appointment
- Please sign up for my office hours using the sign-up sheet on my door or send me an e-mail.
- cognitive approaches to literature and culture
- narratology, reception theory
- contemporary British fiction
Kutsch, Caroline, Julia Vaeßen and Sven Strasen. Forthcoming. "T-Rex – Triggers of Reader Emotion and Experientiality: Combining Empirical Literary Studies, Corpus Linguistics and Affective Computing." In Experiencing Fictional Worlds, edited by Elizabeth Stewart-Shaw and Benedict Neurohr. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Vaeßen, Julia, and Sven Strasen. 2015. “A History of Anthony in 3 1/2 Stories: History, Memory, and Fabulation in Julian Barnes’s The Sense of an Ending.” In Last Things: Essays on Ends and Endings, edited by Gavin Hopps, Stella Neumann, Sven Strasen, and Peter Wenzel. Aachen British and American studies 19. Frankfurt am Main: Lang.
Vaeßen, Julia, and Timo Lothmann. 2014. “Do You Read Me? Metaphor as a Pathway to the Conceptualisation of Literary Identity.” International Journal of Literary Linguistics (3.1): 1–18.
Vaeßen, Julia. 2010. “Challenging Binary Oppositions: Carter Revard's 'Dragon-Watching in St. Louis' (1993).” In Discourses of Mobility - Mobility of Discourse: The Conceptualization of Trains, Cars and Planes in 19th- and 20th-Century Poetry, edited by Peter Wenzel and Sven Strasen, 185–92. Trier, Germany: Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier.
"A Cognitive Reader Response Theory of Literary Character." Conference Style and Response: Minds, Media, Methods. Sheffield, England, 11. November 2016. (with Sven Strasen)
"T-REX: Triggers of Reader Emotion and Experientiality". Stylistics Reading Group Symposium 2016: Experiencing Fictional Worlds. Nottingham, England, 21 June 2016. (with Sven Strasen)
“Do You Read Me? Metaphor as a Pathway to the Conceptualisation of Literary Identity”. First International Conference on Cognition and Poetics. Osnabrück, Germany, April 2013. (with Timo Lothmann)
“A History of Anthony in 3 ½ Stories: History, Memory and Fabulation in Julian Barnes’s The Sense of an Ending.” Colloquium on Ends and Endings in Literature and Culture, St. Andrews, Scotland. March 2012. (with Sven Strasen)
“The Influence of Cultural Models on Identity Construction in Modern British Literature.” BritCult Graduate Forum. Mainz, Germany. November 2011.
- German Association of University Teachers of English & European Society for the Study of English (ESSE)
- International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature (IGEL)
- Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA)
- German Association for the Study of British Cultures (BritCult)
- seminar/tutorial: Practical Introduction to Literary Studies (2010 – 2017)
- seminar/tutorial: Introductory Seminar Literary Studies (2011 – 2017)
- seminar: Cognitive Reception Theory (winter term 2017/18)
- seminar: Poetry and Religion (winter term 2016/17)
- seminar: Characters in Fictional Worlds (winter term 2015/16 & summer term 2016)
- seminar: Contemporary British Theatre (winter term 2014/15)
- seminar: The British Novel after 1980 (winter term 2013/14)
- seminar: Memory and Identity in 19th and 20th Century Literature (winter term 2010/11)
- research colloquium for B.A. students (winter term 2017/18)
Research and Teaching Assistant at the Chair of English Literature, RWTH Aachen University
04/2011 – 03/2013
Assistant Lecturer at the Chair of English Literature, RWTH Aachen University
10/2010 – 03/2011
Teaching Assistant at the Chair of English Literature, RWTH Aachen University
10/2005 – 06/2010
State Examination for Teachers at Secondary Schools (Erstes Staatsexamen für das Lehramt an Gymnasien und Gesamtschulen), RWTH Aachen
Final thesis: "Memory, Identity and Unreliability in the Novels of Kazuo Ishiguro"
PhD scholarship awarded by the scholarship body of the Catholic Church in Germany (Cusanuswerk, 2011 – 2013)
undergraduate scholarship awarded by the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, 2008 – 2010)
undergraduate scholarship awarded by the scholarship body of the Catholic Church in Germany (Cusanuswerk, 2007 – 2010)